pH is defined as the measure of hydrogen ion concentration which is used for measuring the acidity or alkalinity of a given solution.
Following is the equation that is used for calculating the pH:
pH = -log[H+]
Importance of pH testing in everyday life
- In the human body, all the physiological reactions take place in the pH of 7-7.8. pH is very important in our digestive system.
- In the stomach, hydrochloric acid is secreted as food enters the stomach. It turns the pH of the stomach between 1 and 3.
- This pH is important for the activation of the enzyme pepsin, which helps in the digestion of protein in food.
- When the pH of the mouth falls below 5.5. Our tooth starts decaying.
- Tooth powder and toothpaste which are used for cleaning of teeth are basic in nature.