The scalar chain was developed by Henri Fayol. In modern management theory, the ’14 Principles of Management’ developed by Henri Fayol have been a significant influence.
- Scalar chain is the chain of all supervisors from the top management to the person working in the lowest rank.
- Scale chain identifies the path along which communication has to flow in order for the communication to be effective in an organisation.
- Effective communication is most important in an organisation to achieve any its objectives.
- As per the principle of scalar chain, the flow of any information has to follow a pre-defined path, that is to avoid any kind of ambiguity, information has to flow from supervisor to the one in lowest position.
- This pattern must be followed in any department of an organisation, if the communication has to be effective.
The advantages of Scalar Chain are given below:
- Whenever there is a problem, every employee knows whom to approach to sort out the problem.
- Top management will be able to communicate the required message to the entire organisation.
- Supervisors at each level will become responsible and execute the orders of the top management.
- Chaos in the organisation will be avoided.