Xenon oxyfluoride (XeOF4) is the square pyramidal shape.
In the given compound (XeOF4)
- Central atom: Xe
- Xe contributes: 8 electrons
- O contributes: 2 electrons
- 4 x F contribute: 4 electrons
- Total Valence Shell Electrons: 14
- Total Valence Shell Electrons pairs: 7
- 1 x double bond − 1 pair
- Total: 6
Hence the central Xe atom has 1 lone pair of electrons and 5 bonding domains. It supports sp3d2hybridisation. The electron pair geometry is octahedral and the molecular geometry is square pyramidal.