The genetically modified crops are prepared by the latest molecular biology techniques. In this method, the gene of interest is inserted into the crops to obtain the crops with desired characteristics. Such crops are important to the farmers because:
- They help in the development of pest-resistant crops.
- Such crops are unaffected by bacteria, fungi and virus.
- They can tolerate drought, cold and extremely saline conditions.
- The crops are rich in nutrients important for plant growth.
- It helps in improving the crop yield.
Bt-brinjal and Bt-cotton are the most important genetically modified crops. These are created by inserting the gene from the bacterium Bacillus thuringiensis into the respective crops.