Living organisms are dependent on the soil in the following ways:
1. Soil plays important role in biogeochemical cycle which is a main source of recycling of nutrients from atmosphere to soil and then to water.
2. All the plants (even aquatic), on which almost all the organisms depend directly or indirectly for food, grow in the soil, which provides them with nutrients and water for development.
3. Soil also supports the very existence of forests, which provide us with wood, building material, fibre, medicinal plants. Forests arc also natural habitat for a number animal species.
4. A number of insects and animals make their homes in the soil.
5. The organisms that live in water are not totally independent of soil as a resource.