Steps to draw the lewis structure
- Find the total number of electrons of the valance shells of nitrogen and oxygen atoms
- Total electrons pairs
- Center atom selection
- Put lone pairs on atoms
- Check the stability and minimize charges on atoms by converting lone pairs to bonds.
- Total valence electrons given by nitrogen atom = 5
- Total valence electrons given by oxygen atoms = 6 x 2 = 12
- Total valence electrons = 5 + 12 = 17
- Total valance electrons pairs = σ bonds + π bonds + lone pairs at valence shells. Nitrogen has the more chance to be the centre atom. Total pairs of electrons are 8 and one electron exists as unpaired electron because 17 cannot be divided exactly by 2.
- Nitrogen has the more chance to be the centre atom
- Mark unpaired electron on nitrogen atom.
- Both oxygen atoms and nitrogen atoms have charges.