The government can be accountable by framing and developing various laws and policies in which citizens can hold the government responsible if any of those policies and laws are not implemented or are held against the welfare of the citizens.
Reasons for democracy being accountable, responsive and legitimate Government
- The government can be responsible when people start taking actions when the government becomes insensitive about their aspirations.
- People can hold protests, carry out campaigns and organise rallies and force the government to respond to them.
- A democratic government is a legitimate government, as it is elected by citizens and enjoys the confidence and trust of the citizens.
- People have the right to choose their rulers and they have control over their rulers. Citizens can participate in decision making.
- Democracy makes the point that decision making is based on norms and procedures. So, a citizen who wants to know if a decision was taken through the correct procedures can find out this information.
- Citizens can take part in decision making whenever necessary.
- A democratic government is the people’s own government and it is run by the people.
- People wish to be ruled by representatives elected by them.