Hydrogen differs from alkali metals as it does not possess a metallic character.
Similarities of Hydrogen and Alkali metals
- Electronic Configuration: The electronic configuration of hydrogen is 1s1, similar to the outermost electronic configuration of alkali metals (ns1). Some it is placed with alkali metals in group 1
- Electropositive Character: Hydrogen can come from unipositive ion by losing one electron like alkali metals
- Oxidation State: Hydrogen exhibits an oxidation state of +1 ion in hydrogen compounds, which is similar to alkali metals.
- Valency: The valency of hydrogen is 1 like alkali metals.
- Reaction with Non-metals: Like alkali metals, hydrogen dorms binary compounds with non-metal,
- Reducing nature: Hydrogen is a good reducing agent like alkali metals.