The significant figures of numbers are digits to convey the meaning that contributes to its measurement resolution. Non-zero digits are always significant.
Significant Figures Rules
- All non-zero digits are significant
- Zeroes between non-zero digits are significant
- Leading zeros to the left of the first non-zero digits are not significant
- Trailing zeroes that are also to the right of a decimal point in a number are significant
- When the number ends in zeroes that are not to the right of a decimal point, the zeroes are not necessarily significant.