Ethanol can convert to methanol by following steps
- Ethanol first undergoes oxidation by reacting it with chromium trioxide to form acetic acid.
CH₃CH₂OH + CrO₃ → CH₃COOH
- Acetic acid is then reacted with sodium hydroxide to form sodium acetate and water
CH₃COOH +NaOH → CH₃COONa +H₂O
- sodium acetate is reacted with sodium hydroxide and calcium oxide to form methane and sodium carbonate and calcium.
CH₃COONa +NaOH + CaO → CH₄ + Na₂CO₃ + Ca
- Methane then reacted with chlorine molecule to form methyl chloride and hydrochloric acid
CH₄ + Cl₂ → CH₃Cl + HCl
- Methyl chloride is passed through aqueous potassium hydroxide to form methanol
CH₃Cl + KOH → CH₃OH