India is a part of the Asia continent. Asia is the largest continent in the world. Asia covers about one-third of the total land area of the earth.
Location of the continent
The continent lies in the Eastern Hemisphere of the earth. The Tropic of Cancer passes through Asia continent. By the Ural mountains in the west, Asia is separated from Europe. The combined and together landmass of Europe and Asia is called Eurasia.
Countries in Asia continent
There are 48 countries in Asia. Out of which China, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal, Bhutan and Sri Lanka are the major countries that surround India.
- The earth’s highest and lowest places both lie in Asia:
The highest place on earth is Mount Everest and lies in the country of Nepal in Asia
The lowest place on earth is Dead Seashore is a salt lake bordering Jordan to the east, and Israel to the west in Asia continent
- The Indian Ocean named after the country India. It is the only ocean having named after the country. The shape of the Indian ocean is almost triangular. It is bound by Asia in the north, in the west by Africa and in the east by Australia
- The Asian continent has a larger number of mountains than any other continent. They are Himalaya, Altai, Karakoram, Zagros, Elbruz, Urals, Kunlun, Tein Shan.
- The Pamir Knot commonly known as the Roof of the World is a large group of rugged peaks and deep valleys
- An endorheic basin situated between the Kunlun and the Tein Shan is Tarim Basin