Diazonium salts are one of the most versatile combinations of organic and inorganic components. Its general way of representation is R−N+2X−. The R is an organic group, generally an aryl group while X represents an ion. Generally, diazonium salts have Cl–, Br–, BF−4, as X. The name of these salts is based on the presence of the N+2 group or the diazonium group.
Properties of Diazonium Salts
- They are ionic in nature.
- They are water-soluble.
- Aryl diazonium salts are colourless crystalline solids.
- Benzenediazonium chloride is soluble in water but reacts with it only when warmed.
- Benzenediazonium fluoroborate is not soluble in water. It is pretty stable at room temperature.
- Readily soluble in water and gives azo dye test.