The classification of organisms is known as taxonomy. The modern taxonomic system was developed by a Swedish Botanist, Carolus Linnaeus. There are different forms of organisms on earth, from minute bacteria to large elephants. It was very difficult to study all the life forms. Therefore, they were classified based on the similarities in their characteristics.
The organisms are classified as follows:
These classifications have a number of advantages. Following are the advantages of classifying organisms:
- It makes us aware of and gives us information regarding the diversity of plants and animals.
- It makes the study of different kinds of organisms much easier.
- It tells us about the inter-relationship among the various organisms.
- It helps to understand the evolution of organisms.
- It helps environmentalists to develop new methods of conservation of plants and animals.
To know more about the classification of organisms, keep visiting BYJU’S.
Check the video for further reference.