India is the seventh-largest country in the world as per area. In accordance with population, India stands in second position in the whole world.
Area and how it is spread: Length and Breadth
India is a country of vast geographical expanse and is bounded by the lofty Himalayas, Arabian Sea, the Bay of Bengal and the Indian Ocean.
- India occupies an area of about 3.28 million sq. km.
- The north-south extent from Kashmir to Kanyakumari is about 3,214 km.
- The east-west extent from Arunachal Pradesh to Kuchchh is about 2,933 km.
- India has a land boundary of about 15,200 km.
- The total length of the coastline, including the two groups of islands that is the Andaman and Nicobar and the Lakshadweep, is 7,516.6 km.
Location as per the world and in the globe
India is located in the northern hemisphere of the world. The Tropic of Cancer (23°30’N) passes almost halfway through the country India.
- From the extends south to north, the mainland of India extends between 8°4’N and 37°6’N latitudes.
- From the other extends west to east, India extends between 68°7’E and 97°25’E longitudes.
Neighbours of India
Seven countries share the boundaries with India. In Northwest there lies Afghanistan and Pakistan, In the North, India, is bound with China, Bhutan and Nepal, to the far east India, is surrounded by Myanmar and Bangladesh to the east. In south-east there lies Sri Lanka and Maldives in the south-west. These two countries share the water borders. The northern part of India is referred to as Subcontinent and Southern part of India is referred to as Peninsular region.
Border shared between India and Bangladesh
Border Line share between India and Bangladesh is 4096.7 Km. It is the fifth-longest land border in the world. India and Bangladesh share one of the longest borders in the world and it covers an area of 1,43,998 sq km and along with a coastline of 580 km.