Alec Jeffreys developed this technique in which he used satellite DNAs also called VNTRs (Variable Number of Tandem Repeats) as a probe because it showed the high level of polymorphism.
Following are the steps involved in DNA fingerprinting:
1. Isolating the DNA.
2. Digesting the DNA with the help of restriction endonuclease enzymes.
3. Separating the digested fragments as per the fragment size by the process of electrophoresis.
4. Blotting the separated fragments onto synthetic membranes like nylon.
5. Hybridising the fragments using labelled VNTR probes.
6. Analysing the hybrid fragments using autoradiography.