The capital city of the state West Bengal is Kolkata. Kolkata is located on the riverbank of the Hooghly river. Kolkata was earlier referred to as Calcutta. The name was changed to Kolkata in the year 2001. Kolkata has been called the “City of Furious, Creative Energy” as well as the “cultural [or literary] capital of India”.
Listed below are the few features of Kolkata
- Kolkata is the seventh-most populous city in the country.
- The city occupies an area of 185 km2 in the state.
- As per the census of 2011 the Kolkata city had a population of 4,486,679.
- The sex ratio of the city is 899 females per 1000 males—lower than the national average.
- The Kolkata tram system is the oldest operating electric tram system in Asia. It is one of the transportation system in the city.