Name the monomers of Buna-N.

Buna -N is an example of a synthetic rubber. On polymerisation of 1, 3 – butadiene and acrylonitrile in the presence of peroxide catalyst Buna-N is formed. Acrylonitrile is also called as prop-2-ene-1-nitrile as per IUPAC nomenclature.

Therefore buta-1,3-diene and prop-2-ene-1-nitrile are the monomers of Buna-N.

Buna – N Synthetic rubber is a copolymer of H2C = CH – CN and H2C= CH – CH=CH2

India is one among the top countries in the manufacture of rubber. Rubber has various uses and plays a major role in many of the industries. Let us read more about the rubber.

Rubber

Rubber, also referred to as latex. Indian rubber, caucho, Amazonian rubber, or simply rubber, are all varieties of rubber. It can be defined as a substance that is made up of polymers of isoprene (which is an organic compound) along with a small quantity of impurities (present in the form of other organic compounds plus water). Thailand and Indonesia are the two major amongst the leading producers of rubber. The polyisoprene formed are used as natural rubbers are commonly referred to as elastomers.

Types of Rubber

Natural Rubber: The rubber that is obtained from natural sources such as plants and animals rubber is known as natural rubber. Examples of natural rubber are Starch, cellulose, rubber etc.

Synthetic Rubber: The rubber that are artificially synthesised in laboratories or the one that is man-made are called synthetic rubbers. Examples of synthetic rubber are Neoprene, styrene-butadiene etc.

Uses of Rubber

  • For the production of tires by the transport industry
  • By the construction industry in elevator belts, hoses, tubes, and seismic bearings etc is of the major usage
  • Industries for the production of good footwear, erasers and sports, etc.
  • Polyisoprene synthesis which is the artificial rubber which has identical properties with that of the natural rubber in the chemical composition of ingredients used in its manufacture
  • Used by sports industries

Largest State Producing Rubber

Kerala stands at the first position for the production of rubber. About more than 90 per cent of the total rubber production in the country is given by Kerala. India stands today in the world’s 3rd largest producer and 4th largest consumer. The total area under rubber cultivation in the Kerala state is 5.45 lakh hectares. The remaining 10 per cent natural rubber is produced in Tamil Nadu and North East states.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

BOOK

Free Class