The amount of product formed at an electrode depends upon the time for which current flows.
The factors affecting the product of electrolysis
- i) Nature and state of the electrolyte.
- ii) Nature and electrode potential of ions present in the electrolyte.
- iii) Nature of the electrode.
- iv) Overvoltage at the electrodes.
Uses of electrolysis:
- Electrolysis is used in the extraction of metals from their ores.
- It is used for refining certain metals such as copper and zinc.
- Electrolysis is used for the manufacture of chlorine.