Runner (stems) are usually found in (a) Grasses
Runners are the stems which usually grow in a horizontal form above the ground. They have the nodes where the buds are formed. These buds usually grow into a new plant.
Listed below are few features of Runner stems
- It is a creeper that runs horizontally on the surface of the soil.
- The nodes have scale leaves, adventitious roots, and auxiliary buds.
- Runners arise from the auxiliary buds. A large number of runners are produced by a mother runner in all the directions.
- Runners break off and grow into an independent plant giving rise to vegetative propagation.
- Example C-Cynodon. An underground runner is known as sobole