The common nitrogen-fixer in paddy fields is azospirillum.
Following is the scientific classification of azospirillum:
- Kingdom: Bacteria
- Phylum: Proteobacteria
- Class: Alphaproteobacteria
- Order: Rhodospirillales
- Family: Rhodospirillaceae
Listed below are the properties of azospirillum nitrogen fixation bacteria
- It is a gram-negative, non-fermentative, microaerophilic, nitrogen-fixing bacteria.
- It also has the capacity to synthesize phytohormones specially indole-3-acetic acid and gibberellins.
- Helps in promoting root proliferation.
- When a small amount of it is added to the soil, it multiplies into million and is capable of providing up to 20-40kg of nitrogen per hectare per season.