We all know about the temperature and the instrument to measure temperature is called thermometer. Let us dive in to know more about the two main types of thermometers.
- Thermometer (thermos: hot; metron: measure) is the universal instrument used to measure temperature.
- Clinical Thermometer is meant for clinical purposes. It is developed for measuring the human body temperature.
- A laboratory thermometer, which is colloquially known as the lab thermometer, is used for measuring temperatures other than the human body temperature.
Similarities between Clinical Thermometer and a laboratory thermometer
- Both are made of glass and consist of long narrow glass tube.
- At one end both of them have a bulb.
- Bulbs of both the thermometers consist of mercury
- Celsius scale is present in both the thermometer
Differences between Clinical Thermometer and a laboratory thermometer
|Clinical Thermometer||Laboratory thermometer|
|Temperature range if 35 to 42 0 c||Temperature range is -10 to 110 0 c|
|Used to measure human body temperature||Used to measure temperature in the laboratory|
|It has kink which prevents immediate backflow of mercury||It does not have a kink|