Semiconductors are the materials which have a conductivity between conductors (generally metals) and non-conductors or insulators (such ceramics).
Most commonly used semiconductor
Gallium arsenide, germanium, and silicon are some of the most commonly used semiconductors.
Why silicon is the most commonly used semiconductor?
Although both silicon and germanium are used in semiconductor devices, the present trend is to use silicon. It is due to two main reasons which are listed below
- Silicon has much smaller leakage current than that of germanium.
- Silicon can be worked at a higher temperature as compared to germanium.
Applications of Semiconductors in Everyday life
- Temperature sensors are made with semiconductor devices.
- They are used in 3D printing machines
- Used in microchips and self-driving cars
- Used in calculators, solar plates, computers and other electronic devices.
- Transistor and MOSFET used as a switch in Electrical Circuits are manufactured using the semiconductors.