The most primitive seed plants are gymnosperms.
Gymnosperms are a group of plants that produce seeds not enclosed within the ovary or fruit.
Properties of gymnosperms
Gymnosperms have the following essential characteristics:
- They develop needle-like leaves.
- They are found in colder regions where snowfall occurs.
- They are not differentiated into ovary, style and stigma.
- They are perennial or woody, forming trees or bushes.
- Seeds are not formed inside a fruit. They are naked.
- They do not produce flowers.