The subdivision of Spirogyra is algae.
- Spirogyra is free-floating green algae that can be found in freshwater environments including ponds and lakes.
- Their vegetative form is filamentous and unbranched.
- There are around 400 species of Spirogyra found
- The genus Spirogyra gets its name from the spiral chloroplast found in algae cells.
- Spirogyra is a photosynthetic organism that contributes significantly to total carbon dioxide fixation.
- They raise the oxygen level in their environment. They are eaten by a variety of aquatic species.