A chemical reaction is in which the bonds are broken within reactant molecules, and new bonds are formed within product molecules in order to form a new substance.
Fast chemical reactions
- These reactions change so fast that they happen as soon as the reactants are combined.
- These reactions are known as ionic reactions because they usually involve ionic species.
- It takes about 10-14 to 10-16 seconds for these reactions to complete.
- The rates of such reactions are nearly impossible to predict.
Examples of fast reaction
- The combustion of natural gas
- The reaction of acetic acid and sodium bicarbonate