Friction is the resistance to motion of one object moving relative to another. There are several types of friction. Some advantages and disadvantages of Friction are given below.
Advantages of Friction:
- Friction is responsible for many types of motion
- It helps us walk on the ground
- Brakes in a car make use of friction to stop the car
- Asteroids are burnt in the atmosphere before reaching Earth due to friction.
- It helps in the generation of heat when we rub our hands.
Disadvantages of Friction:
- Friction produces unnecessary heat leading to the wastage of energy.
- The force of friction acts in the opposite direction of motion, so friction slows down the motion of moving objects.
- Forest fires are caused due to the friction between tree branches.
- A lot of money goes into preventing friction and the usual wear and tear caused by it by using techniques like greasing and oiling.
Learn how cycle breaks, sports shoes, and a matchstick are related with the help of the video given below: