The continuity of generation in the society is a common process. Each and everyone wants to see their next generation. But nowadays due to lack of resources and overpopulation, one has to think over and put a limit to this situation. Given article reads out the various ways and methods of avoiding the continuity process. This process is known as contraception.
What is Contraception?
Contraception is an artificial method or other methods mainly used to prevent or avoid pregnancy as a consequence of sexual intercourse. When a sperm reaches the ova in women, she may become pregnant. Contraception is a method that prevents this phenomenon by:
- Restricting the egg production
- Keeping the egg distinct or far from the sperm
- By stopping the fertilized egg attaching to the lining of the womb
Types of contraception
There are mainly three types of contraception they are:
- Hormonal Contraception
- Emergency Contraceptive
The contraceptive methods can be broadly classified into the following categories:
1. Natural method: It involves avoiding the chances of meeting of sperms and ovum. In this method, the sexual act is avoided from day 10th to 17th of the menstrual cycle because, during this period, ovulation is expected and therefore, the chances of fertilization are very high.
2. Barrier method: In this method, the fertilization of ovum and sperm is prevented with the help of barriers. Barriers are available for both males and females. Condoms are barriers made of thin rubber that are used to cover penis in males and vagina in females.
3. Oral contraceptives: In this method, tablets or drugs are taken orally. These contain small doses of hormones that prevent the release of eggs and thus fertilization cannot occur.
4. Implants and surgical methods: Contraceptive devices such as the loop or Copper-T are placed in the uterus to prevent pregnancy. Some surgical methods can also be used to block the gamete transfer. It includes the blocking of vas deferens to prevent the transfer of sperms known as vasectomy. Similarly, fallopian tubes of the female can be blocked so that the egg will not reach the uterus known as tubectomy.