Following are the major diseases caused by bacteria:
- Meningitis: It is caused by Neisseria meningitidis. It is characterised by the inflammation of meninges, a protective covering of the brain and the spinal cord. This leads to brain damage and even death.
- Pneumonia: It is caused by the bacteria Streptococcus pneumoniae. It is typically the infection of lungs that is characterised by very high fever, cough and difficulty in breathing. If not treated, it might cause sinus and even meningitis.
- Tuberculosis: It is caused by Mycobacterium tuberculosis. It not cured, it might prove fatal.
- Cholera: It is caused by the bacterium Vibrio cholerae. It spreads through contaminated food and water. Vomiting, diarrhoea and cramps are some of the common symptoms.
- Dysentry: It is the inflammation in the intestines that is caused by the bacteria Shigella that spreads due through contaminated food and water.