Following are the properties or important features of suspensions:
- Heterogeneous nature: Suspension is a cloudy heterogeneous mixture.
- Particle Size: solute particles are of the size of order 10-5 m (larger than 100 nanometres)
- Visibility: The particles can be seen with the unaided eye or under a simple microscope. Particles scatter a beam of light passing through it, so the path is visible.
- Sedimentation: The larger particles have a tendency to settle down while the very fine particles remain suspended in the medium.
- Separation by filtration: Larger particles of suspension can be filtered out from the fluid medium.