Carbohydrates are the body’s primary energy providers. The important functions of carbohydrates are listed below.
- They are also important in the diet due to specific functions they perform in the human body such as eliminating or minimizing ketosis, breakdown of body protein, loss of cations and dehydration.
- In addition, carbohydrates are essential because they are precursors to carbohydrate derivatives that are actively involved in human metabolic processes.
- Carbohydrates serve as the primary energy source.
- Functions of carbohydrate systems in the molecular mechanisms responsible for the important aspects of living activity.
- They are essential for the oxidation of fats.
- They exert a sparing action on protons.
- They provide the carbon skeleton for the synthesis of some nonessential amino acids.