Ethylene is a group of plant growth regulators widely used for ripening fruits and producing more flowers and fruits.
The physiological effects of ethylene are:
- Ethylene breaks seed and bud dormancy.
- Ethylene is highly effective in fruit ripening.
- Ethylene enhances the rate of respiration during fruit ripening.
- Ethylene promotes senescence and abscission of leaves and flowers.
- Ethylene initiates flowering and regulates so many physiological processes.
- Ethylene initiates germination in peanut seeds and sprouting of potato tubers.
- Ethylene also promotes root growth and root hair formation, thus helping the plants to increase their absorption surface.
Explore more such questions and answers at BYJU’S.