Light is a form of electromagnetic radiation emitted by hot objects like lasers, bulbs, and the sun. Light is a kind of kinetic energy that enables the human eye to see or make things visible. Light energy is a form of electromagnetic radiation that can be seen by the human eye.
Properties of light
Following are the properties of light:
- Reflection of light: Every light follows the law of reflection which states that the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection.
- Refraction of light: Refraction of light takes place when the light ray changes its velocity it passes from one medium to another. Index of refraction is used as a means to measure how much light refracts.
- Dispersion: Dispersion of light is defined as the process in which the white light separates into different colours based on its wavelength when passed through a glass prism.
- Diffraction: The effect of bending light around small obstacle corners and hence its encroachment into the geometric shadow region is called diffraction.
- Polarization of light: Normal light vibrates in all directions perpendicular to the propagation of light. If the light is constrained to vibrate in only one particular plane, then the light is called polarized light.
- Interference of light: Interference is the phenomenon of modification in the intensity of light due to the redistribution of light energy in the region of superposition of two or more light waves.