Matter can be categorized by physical and chemical properties. Matter is something that takes up space and has a mass. The three states of matter are solid, liquid and gaseous. In this article we will learn about solids.
A solid can be defined as a substance which exists in the solid state, which is one of the four fundamental states of matter.
Properties of Solid
Listed below are few properties of solid
- In solids, particles are tightly or closely packed.
- Solids are incompressible, meaning the constituent particle is arranged close to each other and because of that, there is negligible space between the constituent particle.
- Solids are rigid, due to lack of space between the constituent particles which make it rigid or fixed.
- Solids have definite mass, volume and shape due to which it has a compact arrangement of constituent particles.
- The intermolecular distance between molecules is short.
- The rate of diffusion in solids is very low.
- Example of solids: eraser, book, ice, pencil etc.