Some of the soil conservation techniques or methods are briefly highlighted in the below given answer.
- To protect the soil cover from the wind movement, rows of trees are planted in the dry regions and coastal areas. This is known as shelter belts.
- To form a natural barrier to the water flowing down the slopes of a hill, ploughing is done parallel to the contours of a hill slope.
- To protect the soil from rain wash, different crops are grown in alternate rows and are sown at different times.
- This method involves growing crops by creating flat surfaces on steep slopes. This method of creating terraces or broad flat steps is known as terrace farming.
- This method reduces soil erosion by reducing surface run-offs.
- To collect water, Trenches are made in front of the barriers.
- Soil, grass, and stones are used to build barriers along contours.
- Soil moisture will be retained using the method of mulching.
- A layer of organic matter like straw is used to cover bare ground between plants in this method.
- To slow down the flow of water, rocks are piled up.
- This prevents gullies and more soil loss.