Contraception can be used to prevent pregnancy, and some types will also protect you from sexually transmitted infections (STIs). Contraceptive methods are mainly adopted because of the following reasons:
- To prevent unwanted pregnancies.
- To control population rise or birth rate.
- To prevent the transfer of sexually transmitted diseases.
Methods of contraception
- long-acting reversible contraception – the implant or intrauterine device (IUD)
- hormonal contraception – the pill or the Depo Provera injection
- barrier methods – condoms emergency contraception
- fertility awareness
- permanent contraception – vasectomy and tubal ligation.