Black soil is a type of Black Cotton soil.
Characteristics of black soil
- Black soil covers most of the Deccan Plateau, including Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh and some parts of Tamil Nadu.
- The black soils are generally clayey, deep and impermeable
- Chemically, the black soils are rich in lime, iron, magnesia and alumina
- They also contain potash. But they lack phosphorous, nitrogen and organic matter.
- The black soil is very retentive of moisture. It swells greatly and becomes sticky when wet in the rainy season.