Holozoic nutrition can be defined as a method of nutrition which involves the ingestion of some complex organic substances that may be in the solid or the liquid state.
Holozoic nutrition is the process of nutrition that takes place in organisms which take solid or liquid food inside their body. Amoeba follows holozoic nutrition.
Holozoic nutrition in amoeba takes place in the following steps:
The process of nutrition in amoeba is as follows:
- Ingestion: The process the food is taken inside through mouth and broken down by teeth and initial digestion takes place in the mouth by saliva.
- Digestion: The process in which food is digested by using few enzymes and are used by the cells for producing energy.
- Absorption: The process in which cells use the energy from the digested food and helps in building tissues in our body.
- Assimilation: The process in which digested food moves into the cells of the body.
- Egestion: The process in which undigested food is removed out from the body through excretion.