A substance is a matter that has definite properties and composition. Every pure compound and element is a substance.
Water, H2O, is a pure substance, a compound made of hydrogen and oxygen. Every pure substance is homogeneous. Pure substances can be divided into two categories – elements and compounds.
- Elements are made up of the same types of atoms. Example gold and silver
- Compounds are made up of different types of atoms joined together by chemical bonds. An example is carbon dioxide.
Properties of Substance
- A substance is a pure single form of matter.
- It cannot be separated into other kinds of matter by any physical process.
- The substance must be composed of atoms and molecules.
- The substance must have a particular amount of weight, mass and volume.
Few examples of substance are
- Sodium chloride.