The organisation of electrons at energy levels around an atomic nucleus is an electronic configuration, often called an electronic structure.
Manganese, a chemical element that has a symbol Mn and atomic number 25. The element is not found as a free element in nature but available in combination with iron and other minerals.
The electron structure for a neutral Mn atom that is in ground state is [Ar]3d54s2
Listed below are the few uses the element Manganese
- It is an essential trace element for living creatures.
- It is mainly used to decolourize glass and to prepare violet-coloured glass.
- Steel contains 1% manganese to increase the strength and improve the workability.
- Manganese steel has 13% manganese which is very strong and used for railway tracks, rifle barrels, safes and prison bars.
- Drink cans are made from an alloy of aluminium that contains 1.5% manganese, improving the resistance to corrosion.