The nephron is the unit of the excretory system. The nephron is the basic functional unit of kidneys that consists of a glomerulus and its associated tubules through which the glomerular filtrate passes before it emerges as urine.
What is excretion?
The process of removal of toxic waste from the body of an organism is called excretion. The production of urine is carried out by Nephron, and it is known as the primary unit of homeostasis.
- Nephrons are the functional units of the kidney.
- Each nephron has two parts- glomerulus and renal tubule.
- Glomerulus consists of a bunch of capillaries formed by afferent arterioles.
- Blood from the glomerulus is taken away by efferent arterioles.
- The renal tubule begins with a cup-like structure called Bowman’s capsule and this encloses the glomerulus.
- The malpighian body consists of the glomerulus and Bowman’s capsule.
- The highly coiled structure in the tubule next to the Bowman’s capsule is the proximal convoluted tubule.