Bond formation between two atoms occurs only when there is an overall decrease in the energy of the system.
Formation of chemical bond
- The bond formation is accompanied by the lowering of the energy of the system.
- In the case of the atoms where electron transfer is to favoured energy consideration, a chemical bond may be formed in some manner which may also lead to lowering the energy of the system.
- When an atom or molecule is adsorbed on a surface new electronic states are formed due to the bonding to the surface.
- On the bond formation, the atomic orbitals overlap, and the greater the overlap, the stronger the bond.
- In certain respects, this localized picture of a chemical bond is equivalent to the molecular orbital theory’s delocalized picture.