India is the seventh-largest country in the world as per area. India is politically divided into 29 states and 7 Union Territories. Among these 29 states, the largest state as per area and population s discussed here.
Largest State As per Area
Rajasthan is the largest state in India. The area occupied by Rajasthan in our country is 342,239 Km2. Rajasthan is a beautiful state with numerous cultural and moral ethics.
- The capital of Rajasthan is Jaipur.
- It is situated to the west of India on the border with Pakistan.
- As per the Census 2011, the total population of Rajasthan is 68,548,437.
- The literacy rate of Rajasthan is 66.11 %.
- The number of districts in Rajasthan is 33.
- The Lok Sabha seats from the state Rajasthan is 25.
- India’s popular Thar desert is located in this state.
- Jaisalmer is located in the heart of the Thar desert.
- Major crops grown in Rajasthan are barley, mustard, pearl millet, coriander, fenugreek and guar.
Largest State As per Population
Uttar Pradesh is the highly populated state in India. According to the State Census 2011, the population of this state is around 19.96 crores.
About Uttar Pradesh
- Uttar Pradesh is the largest populated states in our country.
- The Uttar Pradesh is divided into 18 divisions comprising of 75 districts with the capital being Lucknow.
- The area covered by the state is 240,928 km2 (93,023 sq mi), which is equal to 7.34% of the total area of our country India.
- It is the fourth-largest Indian state by area. The Uttar Pradesh shares its borders with Bihar towards the east, Madhya Pradesh to the south, and touches the states of Jharkhand and Chhattisgarh to the southeast Rajasthan to the west, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh and Delhi to the northwest, Uttarakhand and an international border with Nepal to the north.
- Uttar Pradesh comprises of the highest number of metropolitan cities than any other state in India.
- The largest sugarcane producing state of India is Uttar Pradesh. It has about 38.61% share in overall sugarcane production as per the year 2013-14.
- The largest wheat producing state in our country is Uttar Pradesh.
- Uttar Pradesh contributes to its economy in agriculture mainly by producing wheat and sugar cane