Barren Islands is the only active volcano in India.
- Barren Island, is situated about 140 km from Port Blair.
- It is a tourist destination and surrounded by waters which is ideal for scuba diving and is home to a wide variety of aquatic life.
- It’s the only active volcano along a chain of volcanoes from Sumatra to Myanmar.
- Historically, the first record of the volcano’s eruption dates back to 1787.
- Detailed studies have shown that the volcano first erupted 1.6 million years ago and sits on a 106-million-year-old crust.
- In the volcanic eruption in 1991, the volcano’s eruption was catastrophic for several animal species.