Heart pumps blood throughout the human body parts.
The heart is an organ that pumps blood throughout the body. The human circulatory system is responsible for the transport of materials inside the human body. The organs of the circulatory system are the heart, arteries, veins and capillaries. It comprises four chambers:
- Atria (upper chambers)
- Ventricles (lower chambers)
Functions of heart
- The arteries receive oxygenated blood from the heart and supply it throughout the body. Whereas, the veins carry the deoxygenated blood from all the body parts to the heart for oxygenation.
- The right atrium receives blood from the veins and pumps it to the right ventricle.
- The right ventricle pumps the blood received from the right atrium to the lungs.
- The left atrium receives oxygenated blood from the lungs and pumps it to the left ventricle.
- The left ventricle pumps the oxygenated blood throughout the body.