Black soil is known as self ploughing soil due to the following reasons:
- It is a clayey soil
- It contains or retains moisture in it
- Comprises of rich nutrients like magnesium and potassium
- It also develops cracks during summer that helps to expose to sunlight and water during monsoon
- It can retain water up to high capacity
- Swells and becomes sticky when wet
Due to all the above-mentioned reasons, the cultivation and ploughing process for the farmers becomes easy and the crop grows well as compared to the crops on other soil. Black soil is best for growing cotton. Other than cotton sugarcane, wheat, cereals, millets are also cultivated on this black soil.