Electrical lines of force can be defined as a way or a direction, it can be straight or curved so that at any point the tangent gives the path of the electrical field’s strength. They are a perfect way to imagine electric field.
Characteristics of electrical lines of force
- The field lines never intersect each other.
- The field lines are perpendicular to the surface of the charge.
- The magnitude of charge and the number of field lines, both are proportional to each other.
- The start point of the field lines is at the positive charge and end at the negative charge.
- For the field lines to either start or end at infinity, a single charge must be used.
Electric lines of force never intersect each other because, at the point of intersection, two tangents can be drawn to the two lines of force. This means two directions of the electric field at the point of intersection, which is not possible.