Water is defined as an inorganic, transparent, tasteless, odourless, and colourless chemical substance. It is the main constituent of the earth’s hydrosphere. Water is considered to be an essential part of life because of the following reasons:
- Water is essential to life because all life forms are dependent on it.
- Life began in the presence of water.
- Water is the medium of life.
- It is the most abundant compound found in all organisms. It varies from 65 to 89 % in different organisms.
- Human tissues contain about 20 % water in bone cells and 85% in brain cells.
- Almost all the reactions of a cell occur in the presence of water.
Following are the chemical properties water:
- Water is amphoteric in nature that is it can behave as both acid as well as base.
- Water is a great source of hydrogen and when electopositive elements react, they reduce water to hydrogen molecules.
|What is water of crystallization?|
|Why is water liquid at room temperature?|
|Why does ice floats on water?|
|What Temperature Does Water Boils?|
What are the properties of water?
Water as a Resource