Microorganisms are all around us. Some are harmful and we must enforce precautions. Other microorganisms are quite helpful, for instance,
- The bacteria in our gut help us to digest our food. Microorganisms, such as rhizobium, help plants to fix nitrogen.
- The bacteria Lactobacillus is another useful microorganism that converts milk to curd.
- Ideonella sakaiensis is a newly discovered bacteria that have the capability to digest plastic.
- Bacteria are used in sewage disposal plants and also for the production of vinegar, curd, cheese, etc.
- Alcoholic fermentation by yeast is widely used in the preparation of wine and bread.
- Acetobacter acetic is used for producing acetic acid from alcohol.
- Yeast is widely used in the bakery for making fluffy bread and cake.
- Penicillium, a fungus is used to produce antibiotics like penicillin.
- Blue-green algae carry out nitrogen fixation.
Explore related topics by registering at BYJU’S Biology.