- It is a fluid that fills the cell and occurs between the plasma membrane and the nucleus.
- Cell organelles such as mitochondria, ribosomes, Golgi bodies, etc., are suspended in the cytoplasm.
- The cytoplasm helps in the exchange of materials between cell organelles.
(b) Nucleus of a cell:
- The nucleus is the master of the cell. It commands all the functioning of the cell.
- It is generally located in the centre of the cell and is spherical in shape.
- A membrane called a nuclear membrane separates it from the cytoplasm.
- It contains the genetic material DNA and RNA.
- This porous membrane allows the transfer of material in the nucleus and cytoplasm.
- The nucleus contains a dense body called Nucleolus which actually contains chromosomes, the genetic material.