What can you do with a degree in Physics?
Have you ever walked across your room to open the door but got a shock instead? Perhaps you took off your sweater on a dry winter day and had a “hair raising” experience. Or maybe you performed magic tricks to you friend by lighting a bulb with a wire and potatoes.
Do you think there’s a logic behind these phenomena or is it plain magic? No, it’s not magic. These events can be logically explained through the simple laws of physics. While other disciplines of science offer explanations to how these phenomena occur, physics addresses the ‘why’ aspect behind these occurrences.
Physics is a part and parcel of our everyday existence. Great inventions and discoveries in this discipline have redefined the world today. Some of the greatest physicists who have made outstanding contributions include Aristotle, Thomas Edison, Benjamin Franklin, Alexander Graham Bell, and Michael Faraday among others.
Opportunities and career options
With a degree in physics, you can explore a wide range of career options in many fields. Besides, you can explore academics and take up teaching or become a writer like Stephen Hawking.
Let’s explore what you could do with a degree in physics:
What it takes to be a physicist?
While it may seem that a degree in physics is reserved only for the direct descendants of Einstein and Newton, you don’t have to be a certified genius to study physics. All you have to do is:
- Be strong with numbers
- Have a good grasp over scientific principles
- Have a keen interest in learning about the world of physics
Getting into the best college
Your exams scores are important to secure a seat in a good college. Here’s a list of top colleges in India to help you get started.
- Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology – Bhubaneshwer
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) – Bombay
- Indian Institute of Science (IISc) – Bangalore
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) – Kharagpur
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) – Guwahati
- Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR) Mumbai
- Indian Institute of Space Science & Technology (IIST), Trivandrum
- Birla Institute of Technology and Sciences- Pilani
- Indian Institute of Science Education and Research – Pune
- Hans Raj College – New Delhi
Apart from colleges in India, there are plenty of colleges abroad where you can pursue a degree in any field related to physics. Some reputed ones are – California State University, Harvard University, National University of Science and Technology MISiS, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Southern Illinois University, and Stanford University among others.
Physics is the foundation of modern science and it has redefined the way we live.
The first step is to perform well in your 12th Board Exams. BYJU’S-The Learning App has programs designed to prepare you for your boards and competitive exams like JEE. With adaptive and engaging videos, sample test papers for each concept and personalised feedback, BYJU’S’ visual learning methods will give you the necessary boost to do your best.
Give wings to your dreams with BYJU’S-The Learning App!
Now, you can get a free counselling session with BYJU’S experts in the comfort of your home.
Click Here to book now
Books are Tanaya Goswami’s first love and cheesecakes come a close second. Talking about movies, music, calligraphy, politics, and Elon Musk will get you listed under the friends’ section of her diary. Ever since moving on from her job as an English lecturer, she spends her time at BYJU’S crafting stories filled with emotion and sprinkled with sarcasm. Outside of work, she’s either learning something new (French, most recently!) or is curled up with a book and a cup of coffee. She firmly believes that discovering what you don’t know is the key to knowledge and is constantly working towards improving herself.
Drop in a line at email@example.com if you liked her stories, have something nice to say, or if you have compelling ideas to share!
Tags:BYJU'S BYJU'SApp BYJU'Sstudents careers in science CareerScope Science and Technology Student Blog Student FunFacts TheLearningTree
Share This Post
Get a call from BYJU’S experts to understand how BYJU’S Learning Programs can help you learn better and score higher
- How did BYJU’S Help Varun Top ICSE Board Exams
- Watch electromagnetic force come alive with this DIY!
- What Every Parent Ought To Know About Fine Motor Skills
- Why You Shouldn’t Give Cats Milk – The Science of Lactose Intolerance
- Can you really detect if someone is lying? The science behind lie detectors